Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Creativity and pregnancy

No single post this year and we are almost at year end!

Nevertheless, I am not giving up this blog... I am far more active on instagram lately but this blog contains a lot of myself and I still want to keep it. I just realized this blog is 10 years old since October 21st 2021 as my first post was from Ocotber 21st 2011! On this day I did a very important sketch which I want to share: the very first ink sketch of my daughter Nora who was just born one day before! 

December is approaching and I enjoyed a lot sharing one painting or sketch every day for the advent time in 2019 and 2020 as a ritual for myself and for the people who read this blog as above all as a review of what had happened during the year. 

This time there is a difference: I have almost nothing to share on the creative side, except a baby blanket I made and I am very proud of as I consider it as the most beautiful object I ever created. but this is not the subject matter of this blog... 

Why is that? How can a year be almost over and I have almost no sketchbooks or paintings, or at least no colorful ones to look at and  show? 

I was pregnant most of the year from February to October and as for Lina, my creativity was totally blocked this time as well. No inspiration, no patience, no energy to paint or draw, simply no interest. This is so awkward as drawing and color is and has always been my personal balance, my meditation, my own way of expression. But pregnancy is, as beautiful as it is, also very special and strange. At times you feel that you have another body and mind. The beautiful thing about pregnancy is that you are never alone and you walk around carrying two hearts. I really don't know if this is a common phenomenon or if it only happens to me, but painting and pregnancy do not seem compatible for me. 

However, I also had a wonderful opportunity to reflect about my life as an urban sketcher when Anne Taylor from Drawing Attention, the magazine of Urban Sketchers, sent me a couple of questions and interviewed me. I enjoyed so much sharing my story as part of the special edition of Germany Urban Sketchers. 

Here is it: Drawing Attention May 2021 by Drawing Attention - Issuu - page 32 is about my life full of colors. 


The fact that creativity and inspiration disappeared twice during my two pregnancies makes me think about what drawing means to me. I am abviously not a machine that can produce drawings all the time but  I need to be in a certain balance and state of mind and body to be able to draw and paint. 

The first time my inspiration came back at the last trimester of pregnancy in Eutin during the annual urban sketchers germany meeting in 2017 which was a real booster and I was able to carry on sketching here and there. This time I only managed quick, reduced ink sketches without color and I tried to draw as often as possible to remember my pregnancy, to understand my surroundings, to enjoy more intensively what I was living. 



Now that Nora was born, I feel it is slowly coming back, I am sketching her as often as I can as she changes so quickly. 

with 11 days... 

with a bit more than a month 




No comments:

Post a Comment